Thursday, May 8, 2008

Let Me Explain...


For those of you still reeling from the candid post I did Monday, let me explain...
I grew up in a home where nothing was off limits. There wasn't a question you couldn't ask, or one that wouldn't be answered. While my parents were very open and honest, they also taught us when the appropriate time would be to participate in that... and I only use that word as to not offend further...
How open?
Remember my flashback Friday about camping? Cereal boxes having sex in the cupboards? That was basically every day at my house. There were questions asked, conversations that followed, always humor... it's not like we are all perverts, or obsessed or something. We knew how sacred it was (and still is... when it's happening;)...) we just didn't cringe when the subject was brought up. We weren't shy to ask, because my parents weren't shy to talk.
There was one time my dad was bragging to me about how knowledgeable he was. He said that there wasn't a question I could ask, that he couldn't answer.
So, I tested him.
Me: "Does it hurt to use a tampon?"
Dad: A brief look of panic, then a smile, cause I got him... "You got me... But the answer is, it doesn't hurt me!"
Another time, at the dinner table of all places (talk happened there a lot too...), we were talking about toys from our childhood. I get my words all mixed-up sometimes when I am talking faster than I can think and I say something wrong, that happens a lot, and I asked dad if he had a erection set when he was younger. Everyone laughed, my friend Teresa was in shock. Then I realized what I had said, then dad answered, "Yep. I played with is all the time!" As if Teresa weren't already red...
Then I said the correct word, the word I had meant to say, "I mean, an erector set..."
Dad said, "Yeah, I had one of those too."
So in contrast, Merrill grew up in a house that wasn't, well, that open. He described his "sex talk" or, "the birds and the bees" to me like this:
His dad: "Son, do you know how a girl gets pregnant?"
Mer: "Yeah."
His dad: "Don't do that."
See... I think that is what affects us now, some of us are more open than others.
Some of us also cope with humor.
So that's why you might be reeling, or laughing...
And no, he doesn't know. But he does know me, he knows that if something is bugging me, it'll get talked about...
So I'd like to say sorry if you are shocked or offended, but I can't, cause I am not, this is the way I am!

6 comments:

Dani and Tom said...

I don't think you need to apologize...I personally found your post refreshing...and darn funny. Like I said before I think we can all relate to it..

Ally0005 said...

Didn't bothered me.

Brooke said...

your dad makes me laugh... before I read the "yeah I had one of those too" I knew what was coming next!

Rachael said...

ahhhaaaahahhaaaahahhaaaaa...

BookwormMom said...

I love the way you are!!!

Nothing was off limits in either of the houses my husband and I grew up in...I like it that way.

The Anderson's said...

I loved your post, it made me laugh. I think we all have moments in our life that need to talk about. You are such a funny kid.