Monday, June 30, 2008

"The Farmer in the Soup"

We have been reading a lot of books, getting in good reading these days... Lynn wants to be primed for Kindergarten. Today we read, "The Farmer in the Soup". It's about a farmer who did nothing but complain about everything his wife did, and said she "had it easy". So, they switched places, and he soon discovered, it wasn't "that easy", and he was grateful for what she did everyday, he grew to be appreciative. That was after she had done a half day of his work and cleaned up the messes he created trying to do her work...
So it led to interesting dinner discussion...
I have always been thankful that Mer has such a strong work ethic, it does help that it is the family business and that one day it will be the kids' responsibility, so he wants to take care of it now, so there will be something later... but he is that way about everything.
When we were dating, talking about what we wanted in life. we were both on the same page when it came to who would do what. He wanted a stay-at-home mother for his kids, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
We fit.
Heavenly Father answered my prayers, prayers that went up every night for years, to find this guy.
We support each other.
While some days he may not be excited about what the day will have in store for him, he goes to work, for us.
Some of those days, the girls and I get done what needs to be done, and then we do a lot of playing. He isn't ornery about it, in fact, he told me that he's thankful it is the way it is. He never complains, he praises me for some of the littlest stuff, stuff that really doesn't affect him. It could be a bow or bracelet I have made, but it's for his girls, it makes him happy.
He teases me about my "crap-booking", but then tells me how awesome it is that I document everything for the girls, sometimes 3 or 4 of the same layout, so everyone can have it... and he encourages me.
I love him for that. Because of him, I have fulfilled my biggest dreams, being his wife and a mother to his girls....
I love that tonight, after playing on the trampoline with the girls, singing songs, and being silly, Lynn says to me, "Mom, I am glad I have a mom like you."
It's because she has the greatest dad, even though he called me "a fizzle"...

4 comments:

Six-Pack Momma said...

Awwww....thanks for making me stop and think.

BTW- I have something for you, darlin'!

Annie said...

Mindy,
You sound like such a fun mom, you give me something to aspire to.

Isn't being a stay at home mom the best?

Jenny said...

So sweet! You are very blessed!

stacy said...

hey i am not going out of town now, let play when you get home from camping!!!