Friday, June 6, 2008

Flashback Friday...

Here's a flashback... 10 years ago... well, almost...Merrill bought his Civic.
I must admit that a Civic was my dream car. There was this family that I babysat for, the Jorgensens, they had a '93 Civic, I loved it. I thought it was so cute! My dream was to one day buy a Civic, two door though...
I remember the day that Merrill bought it. I was at Joe and Jackie's house with my fiance (bleh!) and Mer stopped by to show it off. I didn't go outside with them, I really wanted to though. I think Ryan was already a little curious about how I acted when Mer was near.
Merrill was so excited! I had never heard him talk so much or so excitedly. He'd always been pretty reserved and quiet.
Well, a couple of months later, I was riding shotgun in it constantly. I think that Clint and Austin weren't too fond of me, I kinda took their place. I do remember the three of them singing Amy Grant to me in the car one day...
Here we are, almost ten years later... the rad car, still going. We have never had a problem with it... knock on wood... I don't want to ever get rid of it. In fact, the other day I told Mer that Lynn will probably be learning how to drive manual in it in a few years...
It hasn't even hit 96,000 miles yet. It has taken us on our first date, many more, countless late night chit-chats, a good make-out spot, taken us to many a concert, on our honeymoon, to the hospital and back three times now, to Lake Powell twice, Dinosaur Land once, and countless camping trips all over the state and over the border. It has been always reliable, but somehow, always needs to be cleaned now days... even when we have just cleaned it. It's poor back seat has been spit up on way too much... It may not have power anything, but it does have a lot of get up and go (thanks to Austin's AEM power intake), and if it can survive me learning to drive a stick in it, I think it can survive anything! We have had miracles, like over 400 miles to a tank of gas on the way home from Powell miracles in it... yeah... it's a sweet ride.
Up until recently, we had a huge speaker box in the trunk. That made grocery shopping trips pretty interesting. We took it out when we were going camping an awful lot. I am a pro at packing that trunk... but I miss the booming.
We love it...
So what got me thinking about this? I had to get the safety and emissions done for the registration. 10 years worth of stickers will need to come off the license plate before the '09 sticker can go on...

2 comments:

Ally0005 said...

I had a 1992 civic for 12 years. I finally traded for what I'm driving now as the air kept going out in the civic. It was a great car. So I so understand.

stacy said...

wow ten years? allan and i have had our saturn for seven, so i now how it feels to look out in your driveway and see that constant beacon of the life you have shared together!
i will be in bear lake all this week, but i am going to definatly call when i get home. we can do anything...bows, zoo (i have a pass that can get all of us in), dino park (have a pass too), lagoon, scrapbook, or just play at the house. but for sure expect a call!