Thursday, January 26, 2012

payday bars

payday bars
of all places, a funeral luncheon was where I discovered these.  I am thinking of presenting another “rule” to add to the church handbook, that when someone brings something to a funeral luncheon, or another church gathering, they need to bring copies of the recipe as well.
so when I came home, I hunted them down.
I have made them twice already, so I am more than qualified to tell you some of the tweaks and tips to make you love these as well.
here’s where I found the recipe.
PAYDAY CANDY BAR COOKIES
1 yellow cake mix
1/3 c. butter
1 egg
3 c. miniature marshmallows
2/3 c. white corn syrup
1 package (12 oz.) peanut butter chips
1/4 c. butter
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. salted peanuts
2 c. Rice Krispies (I left these out.)
Mix cake mix, egg, and 1/3 cup of butter (room temperature). Press into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 18 minutes (watch it closely after the 12 minute mark), or until golden brown around the edges. Spread marshmallows over the top and return to oven for three to five minutes until melted. Cool completely. (I popped them into the freezer while I made the topping.)
In heavy saucepan, mix peanut butter chips, syrup, butter and vanilla; heat and stir until smooth. Add peanuts and Rice Krispies (or leave them out). Spread over marshmallows. Cool and cut.
I learned to freeze these for just a few minutes, long enough to get that marshmallow layer solid.  when you pour on your hot mixture over the top, if those marshmallows aren’t settled enough, they will melt when they come in contact with the topping and then you will only have marshmallow on the outer edges.  but merrill likes it that way because he “doesn’t like marshmallows”?  issues with that boy…
after I top them, I pop them into the fridge to let the topping firm up, and then cut them and let them come to room temperature before eating them.  cutting them while they are cold, helps the knife go through easier and your lines are pretty.  (cut the ones in the picture too soon, I was obviously too excited.)
I also tried adding another egg to the cake part to see if we liked it more cakey, but we all seemed to prefer it less cakey.
it is definitely a keeper of a recipe!

No comments: